Sometimes even a labor-saving device needs a little something to get started. In the case of your DIRECTV Universal Remote, all you’ll have to do is enter some information and press a few buttons.
DIRECTV offers two types of these devices: the Standard Universal Remote and the Universal RF Remote. Both models allow you to control up to 4 entertainment components, including your DIRECTV receiver, television, DVD player and VCR.
You have two options for programming your DIRECTV Universal Remote, on-screen and manual.
This programming method displays an easy, step-by-step guide on your TV screen.
- Press the MENU button on the remote.
- Select Settings & Help.
- Select Settings.
- Select Remote Control.
- Select Program Remote.
- Follow the directions that appear on-screen.
Follow these steps to program your DIRECTV Universal Remote manually.
After turning on the TV and receiver, the next steps are:
- Look up the 5-digit code for your brand of TV. You can find a list of the codes by brand on the DIRECTV website.
- Find the MODE switch on the remote control and slide it to the TV position.
- Press and hold MUTE and SELECT buttons simultaneously. Release the buttons after the green light at the top of the remote flashes twice.
- Enter the 5-digit code. Look for the green light under the TV to flash twice.
- Aiming the remote at the television, press VOLUME UP. (If the volume doesn’t increase, try a different code and repeat steps 2-4. The DIRECTV website has a list of instructions to scan for additional codes. When the volume increases, proceed to step 6.)
- Again pressing MUTE and SELECT simultaneously, look for the green light at the top of the remote control to flash twice.
- Using the remote control keypad, enter the number 960. The same green light on the remote should flash twice again.
- Move the MODE switch to the DIRECTV position.
If you need additional help, try the Help Center on the DIRECTV website. You can look up frequently asked questions, consult interactive guides and more.
Once you’ve programmed your universal remote control, start enjoying the exceptional lineup of DIRECTV programming.